Friday, September 10, 2010

*"Chicken Pot-Pie" Stoup*



This is a Soup (kind of a stoup) that BOTH my kids like! Which trust me... is a hard thing to accomplish! HaHa!

If you used to eat (or still eat) those pot-pie dinners from your local grocery store... I know I lived on them during college and LOVE them when I'm not feeling good! If you are like me then this will be the ultimate comfort food for you!

So enjoy this twist on the typical chicken soup and after you make it go cuddle up with a warm bowl on a cold night. :-)



INGREDIENTS:
- 2 small boneless/skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
(use what you like but I prefer EVOO or a Olive and Canola mixture)
- 2 large Carrots (peeled & chopped)
- 1 Onion (chopped - OPTIONAL
(if you are like me and don't like chunks of Onion I use 1 Tbsp of Onion Powder instead!)
- 2 Tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 large Potato (peeled & chopped)
- Salt & Pepper
(add to your taste)
- 1 qt. Chicken Stock
- 1 cup Frozen Peas
- 2 Tbsp Thyme
- 1 Tbsp Allspice
- 3 Tbsp Butter
- 2 Tbsp Flour


DIRECTIONS:

1.) Place the Chicken Breasts in a small pan & add enough water to almost cover the chicken.
2.) Cook over high heat & bring the water to a boil.
3.) Reduce heat then poach Chicken until thouroughly cooked (10-12 minutes)
4.) Remove the Chicken & place on plate. Strain the broth & reserve in small bowl.
5.) In a large soup pot heat the Olive Oil over medium-high heat.
6.) Add in Carrots, Onion, Garlic Powder, Potato, and Salt & Pepper
7.) Stir together, cover, & cook for about 7 minutes. (Stir occasionally)
8.) Add the Chicken Stock to the Veggies and bring to a boil.
9.) Reduce to a low simmer & cut up the Chicken into small chuncks & slowly add into pot.
10.) Add in the Peas, Thyme, & Allspice. (Keeping at a low simmer)
11.) In a seperate small pan, melt the Butter over medium heat & slowly whisk in Flour.
12.) Cook mixture for 1 minute and then stir into Soup Pot.
13.) Finally, add in that reserved Broth and Stir together!

Remove from the heat and pour into bowls & serve!

ENJOY!
And let me know what you think!
Luvin' from the Oven,
Mama Creedon

2 comments:

  1. This is on my menu for next week... I can't wait to make it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! This was really good. I think the only change I'll make the next time I make it is the all spice... a tablespoon was a bit much for me, but I think that's just personal preference since I have never really used it before :). The soup got my hubby and daughter's approval as well and was perfect with homemade baguette bread!

    ReplyDelete